VIDEO SCRAPBOOK: Bittersweet Film Endings

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

"The End" - The Doors

Here are some clips of some of my favorite bittersweet endings in some of Hollywood's great movies. "Bittersweet" because each have a "bitter", melancholy, not-so-happy ending but "sweet" in that they are a pure pleasure to watch!



"Citizen Kane"
A truly great classic, with the grand-daddy of cinematic "twist" endings.



"Planet of the Apes"
As if Chuck weren't already a big star, this role and his over-the-top iconic ending rant made him larger than life. And one of the most shocking end-of-film reveals in cinematic history.



"Don't Look Now"
Damp, old and foggy Venice. A distraught and troubled father in mourning. Killer midgets. 'Nuff said.



"The Shining"
King. Kubrick. Again, need I say more?



"Brazil" (Original ending)
Because some people thought this original version of the ending was too dark and depressing they remade it with a "happy" version. Trust me, it rocks with the first one!



"Sunset Boulevard"
Poor Norma Desmond. All she wanted was a shot at a comeback. Instead she'll get a straight jacket.



"Rosemary's Baby"
Can you say AHHHHHHGH!?! Damn, I peed my pants!

Some others worthy of mention (but I couldn't find clips for):

"Jacob's Ladder"
"The Other"
"The Reincarnation of Peter Proud"