I Poured Myself A Cup Of Ambition

Finally, after 51 days of unemployment, I woke up to my alarm at 6:30am, brewed some hot liquid ambition, showered, shaved, dressed in the outfit I had laid out the night before like it was the first day of school (how geeky, I know), jumped into Nugget and drove to Apopka, the location of my new job.

As usual for the start of a work week, I had trouble sleeping the night before. And this being the first day at a new job really had me wired. I couldn't sleep much so I stayed up 'till about 3:00am playing Peggle Nights (they really need to start a 12-step program for this game!).

Got in very early (I hate being late, in case you didn't know) and chatted a bit with the trainer. It seems it's her first class since taking over this role. Ugh! Great! Memories of C-N-M, and Symantec where training was, shall we say, not the most prepared. But actually, she did well. She followed a logical modular structure and kept things interesting and informative. The curriculum was no doubt prepared by more seasoned predecessors.

Overall, I have very positive first day impressions. The job pays better than average for the responsibilities asked of us. The huge campus has plenty of amenities like a full onsite cafeteria, pastoral landscaping with jogging track, workout facility, entertainment rooms with bumper pool, video games and darts, and, of course most importantly....free coffee. And it's good too.

Negatives? Even though the building is huge, our unit is somewhat small (maybe 20-30 reps) since we deal specifically with only the technical side of a customer's telephony issues. Not sure about the chances of making new friends. And there are only 3 of us in training...including me! Also, the A/C in the building doesn't seem to be the most effective. I was sweating in there. Thankfully it's a relaxed dress code so I can wear short sleeves. Don't know about shorts, but I don't think so.

So this is just Day 1 of the new job but expect more updates to come about the progress of training and my re-acclimation into the world of the working masses.

Like Dolly sings...