53 Hours

So I'm sitting here thinking about what to write for this post and it dawns on me that I should mention something about the upcoming "D-Day"...the last day of employment here.

I mean, it's so apropos to my day so far: I made arrangements with Jill to scoot out for a couple hours tomorrow morning to attend an interview at another local software company, emailed to my personal email account copies of all communication from Sharon regarding the severance procedure (must make sure I don't mess it up), and checked again all my online accounts for an estimate on the size of the "war chest" I'll have to live off of in case I don't find something right away.

One must be prepared.

It's T-minus 53 hours and counting now.

Unemployment compensation should be available to me (once I payback the $185 or so from 4 years ago, if they still have record of it), and you know I'm cashing in that plummeting 401k next Monday. Add the severance and this Saturday's last paycheck (which should be inflated a bit with the remainder of my unused PTO) and I should be in good shape.

We'll soon find out.

I don't know how long it will take to find an adequate replacement job, though. It looks grim out there, and Central Florida is not alone. It's quite a bit lackluster all over. I'll try hard not to "settle" though. Doing that only increases stress and decreases the bottom line since I end up having high absenteeism and eventually quit in frustration to only be worse off than before. I've been through it too many times. It's not worth it.

So, if need be, the tit of the government I shall suckle, for as long as I can. Oh, there'll be prospects, like this potential job I'll see about tomorrow, but it will have to meet my high expectations. I'll hopefully have the advantage of being able to be picky.

We'll soon find out.

53 hours is so short an amount of time.

BTW, when I googled "53 hours" to grab a pic for this post, I was informed that there's actually a song called "53 Hours".

And the song is by a band called "Exit"...

Exactly what I'll be doing in 53 hours!

Eerie co-inky-dink, huh?