Joe Sixpack Meets Joe The Plumber

When I was younger and a fervent independent, I cringed when Democratic candidates would use cute anecdotes to introduce to their debate audiences the plight of the common folk they have met along the way in their journey to put their cushy well-fed, pampered tush in the White House.

Now, it's the Republicans bringing up their "brush with the serfs" stories to elicit a feeling from viewers that they are somehow better connected to the plight of the struggling masses.

Wow.

Is that not like a 21st century version of Marie Antoinette's "sympathetic" plea "If the poor of France have no bread, well then, let them eat cake"?

All in all, in my opinion, after watching tonight's debate, I feel relieved.

Barack Obama kept on the high road and, as McCain himself acknowledged, was eloquent in his handling of McCain's poor attempts at striking an offensive blow to the Democratic candidate.

You can't fire your cannons if they haven't been calibrated and aimed. You can't carpet bomb if you aren't certain that there will not be unintended and unforgivable collateral of war. You can't order a precision strike if you don't have the intelligence.

Epic Fail, Mr. McCain.

Whew...

"Hello, Canada...ya, I probably won't have to move to your land after all. I think my country may be on the rebound. It looks like we'll have a smart, fair, progressive and creative President again, after such a long time. Thanks anyway, okay? Yah, okay. You too. I love you...I'll visit again soon though. You bet. Okay. Bye"