Oh, Go Away, Fay!

Alright, enough of this already!

It's much more like a tropical storm today. Fierce rain, pouring down in huge sheets, nearly horizontal at times. Huge gusts (probably around 60-70 mph) and persistent winds making the trees sway drastically to and fro. Darkness and grey fuzzy visibility making mid-day seem like night.

Good thing we have the day off from work, right?

Nope. Not today. I'm at work looking at the wrath of mother nature from my desk.

I don't think they planned on the storm being this slow moving.

In the last 48 hours it has slowed to a crawl, at some points literally stopped in place, and has pretty much circled our county's outskirts from at a distance of about 20 or 30 miles away from south to east and now to the north in a counter-clockwise movement. All the while dumping inch after inch of rainfall on us.

It's actually the worst it's been so far right about now. I'm looking out the window from the second floor of this large and sturdy office building, but I wonder what the flash flood conditions are like elsewhere...like at my house on the lake 3 miles from here. The road going by the window looks fairly okay and there are some cars driving down it slowly, but we are in a very affluent part of town - well-designed, impeccably manicured and adequately-drained. My house is in a nice area still, but an older part of town, and being on a lake...well, who controls a lake?

I think they are assessing whether to close the office or not, but right now, it's probably a better idea to stay put than be out on the road. Here, all the trees are very well maintained and since they are all planted within the last 10 years when they created this office park area, they are springy and young...thus no sign of flying debris from them. But elsewhere, I wonder about some of those hundred-year-old live oaks and aging southern pines. The branches on them (and sometimes the trees themselves) snap easily.

Wow! I'm looking out the window and I see some cars whizzing by at speeds too high for even a nice day. Idiots! If we are heading home soon, they better not try to come up behind me at high speeds, they'll find I won't be going much faster than 25 mph.

Errr...

Did I mock this storm a few days ago as it was approaching?

I think she heard me...

And now she's pissed.