Tearjerker Love Story Film Fest Weekend

Having exhausted my supply of Netflix-provided BSG DVDs (until the next shipment, that is, which should, BTW, wrap up the set), I watched TV movies this weekend. To my surprise, I lucked out since many of my favorites were scheduled. I'd seen each one of these films, but they are, in my opinion, some of the most re-watch-friendly movies out there.

But, as well I knew in advance, I needed to make sure I had an ample supply of tissues nearby.

First up was "Brokeback Mountain".

I actually hadn't seen it since watching it in 2005 during it's debut weekend at Lake Mary Cinema. The waterworks certainly gush out freely when watching in the privacy of your own home. Oh, I assure you, I had tears running down my face at the theater too, but I tend to try to hold it together more if in public.

Most Heartwretching Scene: There are plenty of them, but I think the one where Ennis finds the pair of bloodied shirts hung together in the back of Jack's boyhood closet says so much with virtually no words. Beautiful. Bravo, Ang Lee! Bravo, Heath Ledger...and I'm sure I'm not alone in shedding an extra tear or two based on the fact of his untimely demise...he will be missed!

And Bravo to Bravo as well for airing the movie in primetime, and not, apparently, cutting any scenes that might make the homophobes run in fear. Full man-on-man passionate kissing on basic cable TV. We've come a long way, baby!

"Starman" was next.

Huh?, some might say. Yes "Starman". It's not your usual love story to be sure. Much more appropriately categorized as Science Fiction, of course. But it has it's moments. After all the Jeff Bridges character is a virtual clone of her dead husband, and even though it's an alien, there's a "little bit" of her hubby inside. Put common sense aside and just feel it; it'll work for you.

Most Heartwretching Scene: When the Jeff Bridges alien reveals to Karen Allen's character that she is pregnant with their baby, and that the baby will be biologically a human offspring of her and her departed husband, but will have the Starman's knowledge. (Ok, choke back that disbelief and let the moment consume you. Let your logic drift away and free your heart.)

Then there was "West Side Story".

Aside from the thrilling visuals, the spot-on choreography and the stunning music this is, after all, the enduring Romeo and Juliet story of love and tragedy. I've seen this film about 5 or 6 times, but, as I was thinking this weekend while watching it, I would really love to see this as a live musical.

Most Heartwretching Scene: After the fiasco of the rumble during which, in a blind rage, Tony kills Bernardo (Maria's brother), Tony and Maria meet and though her heart is heavy over the death of her brother at the hand of Tony, she forgives him and they embrace. The song they breakout into, "Somewhere" is one of my all-time favorites and always gets the tear ducts flowin'.

Finally, the King of the Tearjerkers, "Titanic".

I think I wrote about this movie and it's personal connection to my own tragic tale of lost romance around the same time this film debuted in theaters. The Jack and Rose story was the Justin and Michael story.

This movie, of the four presented here, is the most re-watched as well. I probably have seen it about a dozen times.

Most Heartwretching Scene: There are so many of them, but probably the one with the biggest impact, of course, is the scene where Jack and Rose are floating in the ice-cold water after the ship goes down. It's a long one, and I am always crying throughout...which makes it hard to see, you know. Jack's encouragement to her, his reassurance, and then, his silence since he's dead. Seeing the lifeboat manoeuvring away after vainly searching for survivors, she has to let his corpse go and sink to the bottom of the cold, dark sea alone as she struggles to get the whistle which will save her life. Ahh. Need I say more?