By Your Command

I'm in the midst of watching all the episodes of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series, from the miniseries to Razor, about 18 DVDs. It's taking a few weeks.

As an avid fan, I'd thought that I had seen most of the episodes, and that this endeavor to watch each episode chronologically would eventually bore me since it would be like watching repeats.

But I hadn't realized just how many episodes I missed. In retrospect, I guess it's not that surprising...

Battlestar Galactica airs on Fridays at 10pm on the SciFi Channel, with an encore of that episode 2 days later at the same time. Well, during the first and second seasons of the show, watching TV that late on a Friday night would be out of the question most weekends because either I'd be out drinking along with Ric, or, when I was at Convergys and had to get up for work at 5am every other Saturday, I'd be fast asleep. And Monday perpetually a scheduled workday, would make staying up on Sunday nights a hard proposition. So either I watched the episodes I did catch after getting drunk or, if sober, half asleep. Needless to say, it's now like I'm seeing this series for the first time, really.

Watching a series on DVD has the added benefits of enough time for fansite, blog and wiki updates so you can enrich your viewing with added information from other fans posted on the Web. Also, the DVDs themselves have all sorts of goodies like commentary, podcasts, deleted scenes and other extras. Finally, and most obviously, you can choose when to watch them. No gods forsaken time slot that SciFi Channel forces you to adhere to.

Get it "gods forsaken"...gods of Kobol.

Now understanding the whole arc of this show, I see so much of it in the context of comparison to my own personal Koyaanisqatsi. The downs, the ups and the downs again...to be followed by an endless loop of more of the same.

And like the show, it seems my enemies can take on the disguise of an innocent friend. But it leaves me wondering...

Am I one of the humans or am I a Cylon?