Nightmares And Dreamscapes

I rarely have nightmares. In fact, I would be hard-pressed to come up with even the last YEAR I had a nightmare that I can remember.

My dreams are usually too boring to even garner interest, actually. I am reminded of the movie "First Family" in which Bob Newhart plays the President of the United States and he is in session with his therapist discussing his most recent dream. It is, as always, just a dream of him, sitting at a table with a bowl of soup, calmly sipping spoonful after spoonful. In fact, it is actually just a bowl of broth. (Soup being too "exciting")

Here's my traditional dream "plot"...I'm in a house I've never been in (sometimes M.C. Escher-esque with dead-end stairways and upside-down rooms) and get fabulous decorating ideas. (I am NOT kidding! How sad.) Or, I am planning on moving from one city to another. (Wait a minute, that's reality...well ya, but it still is that way in my dreams, too!) Or, it is just kinda like a movie...I am not really a constiuent character in the action...I just seem to be primarily a benign observer...and the action is very "story-focused" and "cinematic", played out with mainly strangers or "amalgams" of real people I know...they might look like one person but act like another.

But last night I had a snippet of a dream...that's another quality of many of my dreams...they are disconnected vignettes most of the time. I dreamt I was in a room in a dark laboratory somewhere and there were these scientists in lab coats and they were working on schematics of a machine of some type. I notice the blueprints look like those of an atomic bomb. The technicians are saying things like "it won't get much yield"..."too few atoms are fissable", and others saying "but it will get the job done".

That's it, really...and I might have forgotten the whole 3 minute dream entirely had it not been for the headlines I read on Wikipedia's Top News Stories this morning:

"North Korea claims to have successfully detonated a nuclear weapon in an underground facility."

As I read the article, I see:

"Initial and unconfirmed South Korean reports indicate that the test was a fission device with a yield of .55 kT"

The report states that by comparison, the first plutonium-core bomb tested by the US at the Trinity Site was some 20 kilotons. Even the "primitive" design of the first Indian nuclear bomb was 12 kilotons.

The shock that N. Korea may have been brazen enough to "flip the bird" at the rest of the world is eerie enough...but for me, coupled with this very oddly coincidental dream likely floating into my subconsious in the wee hours of the morning at perhaps the very moment of detonation...well before anyone in the public knew of these events...

Well, I just don't have a good feeling about this one, Mildred!

Cue the "Twilight Zone" theme music:

"Do dee doo da, do dee doo da, do dee doo da..."